REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Concert Operations and Personnel Manager is responsible and accountable for all production aspects of YSO performances and rehearsals. S/he is to proactively coordinate and execute logistics related to all programs presented by the orchestra. S/he will also be an integral part of the YSO’s intimate administrative team working closely with our Executive Director, Music Director, Assistant Conductor, and concert venue staff.
MUSIC PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (30% of time)
- Administrative coordination and communication with YSO musicians:
- Provide 24/7 communications path for individual musician concerns via email, voice mail, and mobile Send announcements, mass emails
- Respond to conductor and musician requests, problems, and issues in accordance with Orchestra Recommend updates to YSO Policy Manual.
- Arrange housing accommodations for out-of-town Recruit and maintain list of homestay hosts. Provide communications and respond to concerns or issues
- Work with the Music Director and Principal Musicians to…
- determine instrumentation and maintain lists of musician seats to fill for each
- schedule Advertise auditions, secure facilities, receive applications and respond to applicants & manage the physical & operational logistics of auditions.
- Work with the Executive Director to…
- prepare & process musician contracts, personnel rosters, and
- participate in planning and support operational needs (including musician participation) of special educational and promotional
- Work with the Marketing & Development Manager to…
- maintain artistic and personnel pages in the program book
- secure any musician bios or headshots needed for marketing purposes
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts
- Ensure adherence to Orchestra
- Address concerns including complaints, musician tardiness/absence, dress code, and general deportment.
- Facilitate communications between Music Director, Musicians, and production
- Hiring & Processing
- Maintain select list of players suitable for hire as extras or
- Hire extra and substitute musicians, consistent with orchestra’s artistic standards.
- Prepare musician payroll for processing by finance department
- Maintain musician personnel records. Assist in reviews for reports; resolve discrepancies
- Miscellaneous – other duties as assigned
CONCERT OPERATIONS & PRODUCTION (30% of time)
- Concert Operations
- Assist the Executive Director and Music Director in developing, implementing and monitoring the YSO’s annual plan and budget for orchestra
- Work with Music Director, Principal Musicians to determine instruments, equipment, or tunings needed and secure rentals and services with vendors.
- Work with Music Director to develop stage plots for each performance.
- Work with the Executive Director, Music Director, and concert venue staff to communicate rehearsal and performance schedules to all involved parties including the creation and distribution of run sheets for each event.
- Work with stage manager to address technical and logical needs (lighting, audio/video, broadcast, recording, stage crew, etc) specific to each event.
- Assist the assistant conductor to develop and implement the YSO’s annual Education Programming and initiatives, including scheduling and transportation needs with schools and coordination with ACPA staff on logistical needs
- Assist the Music Director, and Executive Director to develop and implement the YSO’s annual in-school music performance program including scheduling with schools and YSO musicians
MUSIC LIBRARY (20% of time)
- Assist the Executive Director and Music Director in developing, implementing and monitoring the YSO’s annual library needs.
- Maintain the YSO’s music library including the digital database of owned repertoire and any physical storage needs.
- Develop the annual library budget by gathering rental and purchase quotes, based on instrumentation needs, for repertoire outside of the YSO library.
- Execute rental and purchase orders including contracts, shipping, as well as cataloging and scanning on arrival.
- Create practice copies for conductors and musicians as needed.
- Coordinate the creation of bowing master copies with principal string players and deliver masters to librarian for copying.
- Handle the distribution and collection of both physical and digital sheet music to musicians.
- Supervise YSO Librarian
ARTISTIC PLANNING, ADMINISTRATIVE & HOSPITALITY (20% of time)
- Artistic Planning
- Assist the Executive Director and Music Director in developing, implementing and monitoring the YSO’s annual artistic plan.
- Prepare guest artist contracts in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Coordinate and arrange guest artist’s travel and lodging with agents and vendors.
- Organize musician, conductor and guest artist hospitality
- Serve as on-site liaison for guest artists
- Coordinate guest artist merchandise sales
- Detailed Record Keeping (Concert Management System)
- Bachelor’s Degree Required or Relevant Experience
- Experience in performing arts operations & personnel management, preferably with an
- Excellent skills at prioritizing short and long-term tasks and goals
- Independently motivated, proactive, and
- Tact, attention to detail, and
- Systematic organizational skills
- Able to address a broad range of tasks in fast-paced environment over long periods of
- Proven experience managing the needs and expectations of a wide range of constituents, including musicians, vendors, staff, audience members, and guest
- Proficiency in MS Office and MS SharePoint
- Full-time salary commensurate with experience ($43,000 – $53,000)
- Currently, a Monthly Health Insurance Stipend is Available to Full-Time Staff
- Generous PTO Package Available to Full-Time Staff
- Immediate upon engagement
- Position will remain open until filled
The York Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, nationality, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, or veteran status.